[arch-general] Suppressing specific pacman warnings

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 02:40:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:17 AM, João Miguel via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > > I'd like there to be an option to quiet these, possibly in pacman.conf:
> > >
> > > QuietWarning = NewerThanRepo | IgnoredUpdate | ...
> > > (...)
> >
> > If pacman is going to output such messages in the first place, offering
> > to ignore them strikes me as unwise.
> >
> > The whole reason for outputting such messages to begin with, IMHO, is to
> > alert the user that something unexpected (packages from the future) is
> But when would there be packages from the future!? I think if pacman
> finds I have a more recent version than the repos do, the obvious reason
> is that I got it from somewhere else. When would I have a higher version
> except for that reason?
>
> Why is that 'the obvious reason'? Another (arguably more common) reason is
partial repo syncs, or some problem with a repo (as pacman does automatic
fall-back when a repo cannot be contacted).  In that situation a user
really does need to know that some packages on this system appear to be
from the future (relative to the currently synced repo information) as this
could have a fairly large impact on the system running at all.

And if you're installing newer versions yourself, it's not really hard to
read past it.... way too many users do that anyway,