[arch-general] Link against system libs

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:24:20 UTC 2017

On 04/07/2017 03:35 AM, Martin Kühne via arch-general wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>> Just that asp is from AUR which isn't an official repository. ABS is in
>> the official Extra repository,
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System .
>

> Except the reason for that is that arch doesn't need to distribute
> that software officially because mostly the people who use it use it
> to provide the official distribution with it. It's somewhat a chicken
> and egg question. Now that you had to to point out that the software
> used to build the official repository is distributed inofficially,
> wouldn't that, with the same logic, make the whole distribution
> inofficial? Why are we drawing a line there?

Actually, the official repositories use neither ABS or asp for building,
and it is ridiculous to suggest they do... not least because neither
provide a way to upload anything.

The official repos use devtools, which is in fact in the official repos.
And it is backed by svn: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/

ABS (backed by tar/rsync) and asp (backed by svntogit) are both
read-only mirrors provided for people who aren't Devs/TUs.

--
Eli Schwartz