[arch-general] arch health

Dragon ryu knight.ryu12 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 23:32:26 UTC 2017

2017/04/20 午前8:30 "ITwrx.org" <info at itwrx.org>:

i'm a little concerned about arch's overall health and i was wondering
if there's anything we can do about it.

why am i concerned?

Many users tested to demonstrate that PIE would not cause an undue
performance burden but it has still not been implemented due to dev's
lack of time. Now said dev is also resigning from packaging due to it
becoming a chore. Is PIE on the menu of the adopter of those packages?

There are also many official packages that have been out of date for a
while. At least one of the devs seems to have too many packages to
maintain. Probably because packages were orphaned and someone had to
pick up the slack. There are probably many packages in aur that should
be moved to official if there were devs who had time to deal with them.
There are probably some bugs that need to be fixed too.  Maybe we can
use some % of donations to pay a dev/devs?  Can we modernize the
donations system? I sent a message to SPI's web dev email asking about
improvements to project's pages but i haven't heard back.

IMHO, a general donate method doesn't cut it. Crowd funding should
demonstrate clearly that people will donate much more when they have
input and can see goals, progress, etc. Donors and devs should be able
to designate goals (devs could have approval/veto power) and/or donors
should be able to donate towards approved goals.  It would be nice if we
could fund developers or maybe just a rewards pool where devs get some
appreciation money each month. Crypto currency could be an option. Devs
could choose what they want to receive. If nothing else, maybe we could
crypto tip individually or to an Arch address. Some way to make arch
development more practical for people. I know in the past arch devs have
said roughly that "he who does the dev makes the decisions" but maybe us
users can buy our way in just enough to influence the speed or goals of
the distro's dev? It doesn't seem like the current state of things can
keep up with threats, new features, etc. I think i am not alone in being
willing to pitch in money, when i can, to make it easier or more
worthwhile for devs, new or current. At least we could see what the
current funding levels for goals were so we would know if more needs to
be done. Some other distros have large corps that can foot the bill to
get things done. I'm sure Arch could use some help too, even if we
already have donation funds for infrastructure needs.

thanks

--
Information Technology Works
https://ITwrx.org

Wait, actual question is about PIE?
If you find that package are outdated in community or extra, file a bug rep.
Why not do it?