[arch-general] arch health

ITwrx.org info at itwrx.org
Wed Apr 19 23:55:05 UTC 2017

On 04/19/2017 06:32 PM, Dragon ryu via arch-general wrote:
> 2017/04/20 午前8:30 "ITwrx.org" <info at itwrx.org>:
>
> i'm a little concerned about arch's overall health and i was wondering
> if there's anything we can do about it.
>
> why am i concerned?
>
> Many users tested to demonstrate that PIE would not cause an undue
> performance burden but it has still not been implemented due to dev's
> lack of time. Now said dev is also resigning from packaging due to it
> becoming a chore. Is PIE on the menu of the adopter of those packages?
>
> There are also many official packages that have been out of date for a
> while. At least one of the devs seems to have too many packages to
> maintain. Probably because packages were orphaned and someone had to
> pick up the slack. There are probably many packages in aur that should
> be moved to official if there were devs who had time to deal with them.
> There are probably some bugs that need to be fixed too.  Maybe we can
> use some % of donations to pay a dev/devs?  Can we modernize the
> donations system? I sent a message to SPI's web dev email asking about
> improvements to project's pages but i haven't heard back.
>
> IMHO, a general donate method doesn't cut it. Crowd funding should
> demonstrate clearly that people will donate much more when they have
> input and can see goals, progress, etc. Donors and devs should be able
> to designate goals (devs could have approval/veto power) and/or donors
> should be able to donate towards approved goals.  It would be nice if we
> could fund developers or maybe just a rewards pool where devs get some
> appreciation money each month. Crypto currency could be an option. Devs
> could choose what they want to receive. If nothing else, maybe we could
> crypto tip individually or to an Arch address. Some way to make arch
> development more practical for people. I know in the past arch devs have
> said roughly that "he who does the dev makes the decisions" but maybe us
> users can buy our way in just enough to influence the speed or goals of
> the distro's dev? It doesn't seem like the current state of things can
> keep up with threats, new features, etc. I think i am not alone in being
> willing to pitch in money, when i can, to make it easier or more
> worthwhile for devs, new or current. At least we could see what the
> current funding levels for goals were so we would know if more needs to
> be done. Some other distros have large corps that can foot the bill to
> get things done. I'm sure Arch could use some help too, even if we
> already have donation funds for infrastructure needs.
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Information Technology Works
> https://ITwrx.org
> @ITwrxorg
>
> Wait, actual question is about PIE?
> If you find that package are outdated in community or extra, file a bug rep.
> Why not do it?

no, PIE is just one of the examples i listed of symptoms of a larger
issue that i thought might could be helped by paying devs and
modernizing the donation system. why would i file a bug for an out of
date package? i'm sure the developer is notified when a package is
flagged? why should i pester them to update it?