[arch-general] Tobias Powalowski and his nonsensical maintenance decisions

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:00:21 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Eric Blau <eblau at eblau.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Eric, does it also fail in XFCE or GNOME3? Like I wrote, I've found
>> Plasma's compositor to be buggier.
>
> I use i3 with compton as a compositor. Maybe I would have better luck
> running 4.10.x without compton. I haven't tried that yet.

I use XMonad with compton but GTK3 only works smoothly with Mutter's
compositor or GDK's Wayland backend. Anything else flashes a black
rectangle for any new window. A compositor is supposed to be required
and enough, but compton or xfwm don't cut, though the glitch is less
prevalent under xfwm. Now that Firefox has removed GTK2 support 53,
there's no way around GTK3 anymore.

> I reverted back to linux-lts which seems to be running fine on my
> early 2015 MacBook Pro 12,x with the exception of a failed resume from
> hibernate every once and a while.

Yeah or systemd requiring a newer kernel sometimes.