[arch-general] makepkg - any way to recompile only newly patched files in large packages?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:12:53 UTC 2017

On 08/07/2017 09:36 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> You could also use `makepkg --noextract` which assumes you applied the
> fix by hand rather than in the PGBUILD, which is probably safer as it
> skips prepare(), and in theory re-running configure should not cause
> Make to expire all object files (though with autotools who really knows...)

That is one thing I didn't consider. It has always been beaten into my head
that you don't touch the original source and you take the time to create a
.patch to be applied though prepare().

I guess this is one instance where it would make sense to actually edit the
files in the source-tree directly in order to skip prepare.

Thanks.

> Aside: repackage does not do what you want, since it doesn't rebuild
> anything. Granted, Makefiles usually have the install target depend on
> the default target, so it would probably end up being built too... in
> fakeroot...

Yes, the reference to --repackage was just a way of describing the state of
the build directory. Repackaging the same executables hoping something changed
is as productive as trying to destroy a shot-put with a rubber hammer...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.