[arch-general] makepkg - any way to recompile only newly patched files in large packages?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 8 20:33:22 UTC 2017

On 08/07/2017 10:12 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/07/2017 09:36 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
>> You could also use `makepkg --noextract` which assumes you applied the
>> fix by hand rather than in the PGBUILD, which is probably safer as it
>> skips prepare(), and in theory re-running configure should not cause
>> Make to expire all object files (though with autotools who really knows...)
>>

> That is one thing I didn't consider. It has always been beaten into my head
> that you don't touch the original source and you take the time to create a
> .patch to be applied though prepare().
>
> I guess this is one instance where it would make sense to actually edit the
> files in the source-tree directly in order to skip prepare.
>
> Thanks.

You should do both. Set it in prepare() to save yourself the effort in
the future, and for your local run you can do it by hand to save time
when not doing a clean rebuild.

prepare() is not idempotent, its value lies in making sure you can
replicate what you did next week when running `makepkg -C`.

--
Eli Schwartz