[arch-general] pacman doesn't show download progress

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Wed Aug 16 09:13:26 UTC 2017

(Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 02:05:44PM -0700) Moses Miller via arch-general :
> Can you explain in more detail what the problem is, and show actual and
> expected output?

Hello,
I have the same "problem" for a few weeks too.
Here is the output of pacman -Syu I got just now on two machines:
https://paste.ee/p/hqCTu
https://paste.ee/p/eLu01

In the first one, you see download progress on the packages.
In the second one you don't see them. Here you don't see them at all (probably
because there are only a few packages), but it happens that I only see a few of
them. The behavior is completely random, and on both machines: it's just luck
that I could get the two different examples today

The only line that differs between both machines in pacman.conf is IgnorePkg:
----------------------------------
[options]
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
IgnorePkg   = (...)
Architecture = auto
Color
CheckSpace
SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional
LocalFileSigLevel = Optional
[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[community]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[NB: I "think" it's related to curl (didn't check if pacman uses it though)
since I have a similar experience once with that command in a non-related use.]

Hope it can help.
--
Ismael