[arch-general] pacman doesn't show download progress

Darshit Shah darnirmlist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:09:11 UTC 2017

Could you also share the first few lines of your mirrorlist file?

I don't have much idea about how `pacman` is implemented, so what I'm
saying next is pure guesswork and speculation.

My guess is that there exist some mirror(s) that return a bad HTTP
Response, that is a response without a file-size. A HTTP/1.1 response,
almost always includes a "Content-Length" header which tells the client
program what the total size of the file is. This data is also obviously
important for drawing an accurate progress bar. Now, if the
"Content-Length" header was missing, pacman cannot know the final size
of the file before hand and hence it is not drawing the progress bars.

As a test, I would request that the next time you see something like
this, go through these steps:

1. Delete the just downloaded package from the cache, so that pacman
   will download it again
2. Replace the XferCommand line with this:
	`XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --show-progress -q --passive-ftp -c -S
	-o %o.log -O %o %u`
3. Run pacman again

This will create a log file containing the Server's response next to the
package in the pacman cache. Take a look at the log file and also please
share the contents here with us. If my guess is correct, we should be
able to see this in the log file, else, we find another way to debug
this

* Ismael Bouya <ismael.bouya at normalesup.org> [170816 11:13]:

--
Thanking You,