[arch-general] Contributions to the wiki - Are user contributions a thing of the past?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Aug 24 01:54:35 UTC 2017

Archdevs,

  When I see an wiki page that is unclear or could benefit from a small
addition, for the past 7+ years I've tried to do my part, and I was happy to
do so.

  But, consistently, for the past year or so, any user contributions to the
wiki are systematically struct from the pages.

  The latest being a small addition to the multilib page to make clear that
following repo addition and update you need to explicitly install the wanted
multilib packages. Following the directions on the page as it exists gets you
nowhere, but implies that it is all that needs to be done.

  Again, as has been the form over the past year or, the additions are erased
and a vague reference mentioning the additional steps are covered in an
ancillary page is given as the reason.

  As a P.E. and Attorney, I know documentation. I know when it's clear, and
when it's not clear. If the point of the wiki is to provide clear information
to users, then why are all improvements systematically struck?

  Yes, brevity is a good thing, but not at the expense of clarity...

  Does Arch still want user contribution to the wiki? If so, systematically
deleting the contributions that users take the time to make, isn't going to
promote further contribution. Why bother, more than likely it will just be
erased....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.