[arch-general] Orca, java-atk-wrapper, and OpenJDK8

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 27 12:54:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Guillaume ALAUX
<guillaume at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
> <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am trying to get java-atk-wrapper and OpenJDK8 working together with
>> the Orca screenreader. I have noticed that the following files exist in
>> OpenJDK7 but not for my default JRE:
>> usr/lib/jvm/
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/accessibility.properties
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/
>> usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/java-atk-wrapper.jar
>> What I've Tried:
>> I tried copying these files to /usr/lib/jvm/default/jre, but this seems
>> to throw errors and Orca won't read the application. I tried it with
>> jconsole, clion, and IntelliJ, all three were still inaccessible. Is
>> there another step to get things working? Do I need an older version of
>> java-atk-wrapper?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Hunter
>
> Hi Hunter,
>
> I am the Arch Linux packager for OpenJDK. I will look into it and
> probably also adopt java-atk-wrapper as it is an orphan.
>
> Guillaume

Hi Hunter,

I have just pushed version 0.33.3 of java-atk-wrapper with split
packages for OpenJDK7 and OpenJDK8.

People using OpenJDK7 should just update their system.
People using OpenJDK8 should install java-atk-wrapper-openjdk8.

I have tested this with the SwingSet example available here [0] as
well as with JadX from our repos [1]. Orca does speaks up these GUIs.

Friendly reminder: to setup Java ATK Wrapper, one needs to:

- configure the proper JRE with `archlinux-java`
- set `export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dassistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper"`
(append `-verbose:jni` for verbose output)

If you stumble on any bug with these, please open a bug report [2] and
assign it to me.

[0] https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility/JavaAtkWrapper
[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/jadx/
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/