[arch-general] Problems installing Arch on external HDD

Murari murari.ksr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:30:39 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am having problems installing Arch on an external HDD (the internal hard
disk in the laptop died...). It is a BIOS system with MBR. I decided to use
grub as bootloader, but when I reboot after the initial installation
process I am stuck at the "Welcome to GRUB" screen with a blinking cursor.
It does not continue with boot or drop me to grub shell.

I partitioned the drive as per the Installation Guide, and also edited the
HOOKS line in mkinitcpio.conf to put 'block' right after 'udev' as per the
wiki page on installing to a USB stick.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here?

Cheers!

Murari