[arch-general] Install Archlinux on HP Elitebook

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 20 08:26:27 UTC 2017

On 12/20/2017 02:00 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> I have struggled with this issue and Arch for a year. The problem is grub2 on
> Arch fails to write anything to bytes 0x04 - 0x63 of the mbr, while other
> distros don't seem to have that problem.

And I should add, this is something in the way the grub install handles the
Elitebook bios information. I have used Arch for 8+ years on 4 different
laptops and probably 20 different computers, and this HP Elitebook 8760w is
the only box I have ever had this type problem with.

I'm more than happy to provide any requested information, mbr dumps, bios
specifics, whatever, if anybody has any further ideas to figure out why these
bytes are omitted when issuing:

# grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.