[arch-general] Install Archlinux on HP Elitebook

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Dec 20 14:45:58 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-20 3:00 am, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 12/18/2017 08:36 AM, news at contrepoison.ch wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm struggeling with my laptop : I can't manage to boot into any Linux
>> distribution.
>> My laptop is an HP Elitebook x360 G2 ; BIOS P80 01.09 Rev.A (up to
>> date).
>> By turning off every "protection" I'm able to select the USB stick in
>> the boot
>> menu ; but I can't pass this step. I immediately go back to the boot
>> menu.
>>
>> Does anyone knows how to install Arch on one of thoose #@$&=%* machine
>> ?
>>
>> Many thanks, Tom
>
> I have struggled with this issue and Arch for a year. The problem is
> grub2 on
> Arch fails to write anything to bytes 0x04 - 0x63 of the mbr, while
> other
> distros don't seem to have that problem.

More of a workaround than a solution, but I stopped using grub
altogether once they upgraded to grub2.  (The complexity of the grub2
config file as compared to the simplicity of the grub-legacy menu.lst
file is what eventually turned me away.)  I've started using syslinux in
recent years, and have been quite happy with it.

HTH,

DR