[arch-general] GUFW start problem

Alonzo Gomez alonzemog at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 03:58:47 UTC 2017

Hello.

Using Arch X86-64 up to date.  Gnome 3, with GDM.  UFW works fine.

Logging in (GDM) gives 3 choices:
- Gnome
- Gnome classic
- Gnome with xorg

If I log in as using the option "Gnome with xorg" at GDM, GUFW works fine.

But, if I log in choosing either "Gnome" or "Gnome classic", GUFW will
not start.  Instead, whether I click the gui icon, or do "gufw" or
"sudo gufw" in a terminal, the authentication dialog box appears
asking for the password.  After entering the password, the dialog box
disappears, and nothing further happens.

This is regardless of whether I use Linux, Linux-lts, or Linux-grsec.

Fwiw, I do have net-tools and python-gobject both installed.
Python-gi does not seem to be in the repos.

If necessary, I can reboot into either Gnome or Gnome classic, try
GUFW again, and post whatever error messages would be helpful.

BTW, no other application program exhibit this behavior.