[arch-general] manually configure network

mick howe mickhowe292 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 02:58:03 UTC 2017

On 13 July 2017 at 01:17, Mrrob <rob at mrrob.info> wrote:

> On 13/07/17 07:09, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
>
>> I've just changed ISP and I can't get the changed configuration to stick.
>>
>> I'm using 'static IP address - manual assignment' from Network
>> configuration wiki page.
>>
>> I need to change my address from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.20.1/24.
>>
>> using iproute2 tools as per wiki I can get everything working UNTIL I
>> reboot, at which time some of the settings show the old values and others
>> the new.
>>
>> I've been manually configuring these settings without problems since I
>> started using linux in 1994.
>>

> I assume that (as well as changing ISPs) you have changed your router and
> it has a different internal range to the old one.

​Correct​

> If you have an IP address automatically after booting then something is
> bringing up the network automatically. Assuming your Arch install is newer
> than 2013 then I would expect you've configured netctl to manage the
> interface.

​About april 2013​
​, can't remember details of what I did then but I would have used what was
most like the ​the original method.

> Look in /etc/netctl

[mick at cave ~]$ ls -aR /etc/netctl
/etc/netctl:
.  ..  examples  hooks  interfaces

/etc/netctl/examples:
.                ethernet-static  tunnel         wireless-wpa
..               macvlan-dhcp    tuntap        wireless-wpa-config
​​
bonding          macvlan-static   vlan-dhcp      wireless-wpa-configsection
bridge           mobile_ppp       vlan-static    wireless-wpa-static
ethernet-custom  openvswitch      wireless-open
ethernet-dhcp    pppoe            wireless-wep

/etc/netctl/hooks:
.  ..

/etc/netctl/interfaces:
.  ..