[arch-general] (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 25 14:37:23 UTC 2017

On 07/25/2017 05:29 AM, respiranto wrote:
> On 2017-07-25 03:05, Kryptxy via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi there, I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I
>> had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch
>> formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB
>> is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD. That's
>> the ONLY reason I posted about it here.
>
> As far as I know, thepiratebay.org by itself is not illegal, only
> much but not all of the _linked_ content. As an example, you can most
> likely find a torrent-link for an Arch ISO.

Probably worth noting that this defense breaks down when the project
README specifically calls out high-profile illegal content as usage
examples, though. :p

Although the AUR *still* has that torrent client which is specifically
designed to stream pirated movies via torrents, so I dunno.

(I honestly thought that that was deleted, but I just checked and it's
still listed in the AUR!)

--
Eli Schwartz