[arch-general] Yes you have standing to sue GRSecurity - Two options that can be used in concert or separately

nisus at redchan.it nisus at redchan.it
Mon Jul 31 14:46:08 UTC 2017

Thank you Mr. Rankin for saying this. Bruce Perens blocked me* (also
calling me a "fool" later to a 3rd party) after I started to brainstorm
the defenses that would be raised about a week or two ago: letting
everyone in the world know what he thought of me for mentioning laches
etc.

Such talk is naivete to him and he "doesn't suffer fools willingly".

Brainstorming what defenses the opposition will raise is the thinking of
a naive fool according to Bruce Perens.

I also noticed that Bruce Perens friend Professor Moglen hasn't
commented, instead opting to sit and silently judge, but I did bring up
the fact that GPL v2 lacks a no-revocation clause, thus (barring
estopple) said license can be revoked at any time by the grantor. Which
is the actual reason v3 of the GPL needed to be drafted (the patents
issue being a foil). I guess Professor Moglen (RMS, ESR) and the rest
don't want too many people to know about that part either and thus would
rather downplay anything else I have written.

To be clear: Rights-Holders can sue GRSecurity for the copyright
violation stemming from the flagrant violation of section 6 of the
license. Rights-Holders can also revoke GRSecurity's license to their
code by notice and then sue them if they continue to make derivative
works of said work. So Rights-Holders have two options there at their
disposal.

The GPL v2, by itself, does not give rise to an estopple situation where
there has been no communication to the other party that they relied upon
that the license would never be revoked by Rights-Holder.

The permission flows from the Rights-Holder and not through
intermediaries. Thus even if Linus made communications that HE would
never revoke the permission he has given regarding his works of
authorship, that does not bind other Rights-Holders regarding their
code.

*(  lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/07/msg00830.html )