[arch-general] Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

KangJing Huang huangkangjing at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 06:55:42 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card desktop
system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530, another
is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU port
and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.

Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the nvidia-xconfig
to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D rendering on
that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to use.
With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it could not
find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.

Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
which GL library to use correctly in this case?

Thanks,
K.H.