[arch-general] Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 6 09:55:29 UTC 2017

On 06-06-17 08:55, KangJing Huang via arch-general wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card desktop
> system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530, another
> is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU port
> and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.
>
> Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
> non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the nvidia-xconfig
> to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
> from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D rendering on
> that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
> libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to use.
> With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it could not
> find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.
>
> Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
> which GL library to use correctly in this case?
>
> Thanks,
> K.H.

Hi,

first step is to stop using nvidia-xconfig .
For most people X doesn't even start with nvidia-xconfig created config.

Your system uses Hybrid Graphics intel + nvidia , when using nvidia
proprietary driver you basically have two options
Bumblebee or Optimus .

Check the wikipages for both to get an idea what's possible.