[arch-general] Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:16:54 UTC 2017

Le 06/06/2017 à 11:55, LoneVVolf a écrit :

> On 06-06-17 08:55, KangJing Huang via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card
>> desktop
>> system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530,
>> another
>> is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU
>> port
>> and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.
>>
>> Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
>> non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the
>> nvidia-xconfig
>> to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
>> from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D
>> rendering on
>> that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
>> libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to
>> use.
>> With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it
>> could not
>> find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.
>>
>> Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
>> which GL library to use correctly in this case?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> K.H.
>>
> Hi,
>
> first step is to stop using nvidia-xconfig .
> For most people X doesn't even start with nvidia-xconfig created config.
>
> Your system uses Hybrid Graphics intel + nvidia , when using nvidia
> proprietary driver you basically have two options
> Bumblebee or Optimus .
>
> Check the wikipages for both to get an idea what's possible.

Not exactly true here: this is a desktop, not a laptop. So things might
be a bit different (no PM at least).

I honestly never investigated this case in the libglvnd era, but there
might be tricky things going on.

Could you open a forum thread and post some logs (/var/log/Xorg.*.log
would be a good start) there, and link it here? I think this would be
easier than having this conversation per email.

Regards,
Bruno