[arch-general] Please update the Cinnamon packages

Marcelo Ranolfi marc.2377 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 07:44:45 UTC 2017

Good morning,

Our Cinnamon packages, from maintainer Alexandre Filgueiras (
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?maintainer=faidoc), have been
out-of-date for a while now.

Someone asked on Reddit a month ago about this (
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6axs8n/to_alexandre_filgueria_why_is_cinnamon_34_not/)
and was informed that the packages are up-to-date in Antergos. I appreciate
that Mr. Filgueira is the founder and project leader for Antergos.

Since the Cinnamon packages are currently lagging 5 months behind official
releases, I'd like to ask Mr Filgueira to either step up and update the
packages, or possibily consider handing over the maintanership in the best
interest of the community. The Cinnamon DE is developing fast, and a rather
large number of quirks are fixed each release.

There's a git version in AUR, but it's basically broken (the PKGBUILD
themselves, and the sources - it's dev version after all). I'd create
another AUR package myself for the most up-to-date version, but we have a
policy of not doing that for official packages. Anyway, I would volunteer
to maintain Cinnamon, if needed.

Thanks for your consideration.