[arch-general] Samsung NVMe set up

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 18:51:26 UTC 2017

Thank you for the helpful information and advice.

I apologize for linking to ads.

How I connect NVMe would affect performance.  I see that my assumptions
about the numbers are pretty naive.

Looking at the specs for a pretty fast conventional hard drive,  a Hitachi
Ultrastar  HUA723020ALA641 , many different numbers jump off the page:

Interface transfer rate: 600MB/s
Interface: 6.0 Gb/s
Media Transfer Rate: 207 MB/s (max)
My Results:
$ sudo hdparm -Tt --direct /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   680 MB in  2.00 seconds = 339.83 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 430 MB in  3.01 seconds = 142.78 MB/sec

For the NVMe drive, I see that it is *up to* 3.2 GB/s, or 3200MB/s, and
this may be "up-to" that speed..

I see also that this depends on many factors.  So perhaps I ought to be
happy with these results:
  Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   2506 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1252.75 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 5088 MB in  3.00 seconds = 1695.50 MB/sec

 I did not see, right of the bat, numbers that are comparable  to Media
transfer Rate.

Comparing these numbers: 10X the "direct disk read" speeds is ok with me.

I still don't understand what options would be best in /etc/fstab for the
NVMe M.2 drive.  I have noticed various conjectures and ideas about
discards or trim.  I don't want to damage the new unit through ignorance.

Thanks.

Alan

--
[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily
available in books. …The value of a college education is not the

"Sweet instruments hung up in cases. . . keep their sounds to themselves."

         ---Shakespeare, _Timon of Athens_