[arch-general] Kde + Gnome dual-install issues

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jun 24 19:36:08 UTC 2017

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 19:46:16 +0200, Francesco Porro wrote:
>In a Kde/Plasma session I see a lot of gnome-* process running, even
>if didn't opened any gnome-related app. How to disable the auto-start
>of those deamons/apps? I don't know exactly where to look at, which is
>the right conf file to edit?

Hi,

you assume that the crap of boated desktop environments is started by
a user session, but actually it isn't that way, at least some of that
crap already gets started at boot time, so if you disable it or replace
some odd hard dependencies by empty dummy packages, you don't get those
features, e.g. virtual file system support, at least not automatically,
if you simply start a session with user privileges. If you chose a
desktop environment seeking for world domination, you should obey.

E.g. use

  pacman -Qo /path/to/an/executable

to get the name of the package an executable belongs too.

Run

  pacman -Ql package

to get a list of all files included to the package.

Perhaps there's a /etc/xdg/autostart/ file or a systemd unit or...

Among several solutions you could use pacman.conf's NoExtract to get
rid of e.g. default /etc/xdg/autostart/ files.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Vote for apulse!