[arch-general] About rebuild of pandoc

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 12:23:16 UTC 2017

On 06/26/2017 02:45 AM, Óscar García Amor wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Some days ago the pandoc mantainer [1] do a rebuild of it [2] where
> add a lot of haskell package dependencies. I think that the build
> changes the binary from statically linked to dinamically linked, but
> IMHO, I prefer the static one (55,08 MiB of package) over the dinamic
> (more than 666 MB in libraries).
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Other solution can be have other package "pandoc-static", that
> maintains the previous method of package.
>
> Greetings.
>
> [1]: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/pandoc/
> [2]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/pandoc&id=d340c92f8cf5686509551c08bcdaa0b5e66760b0

And same with shellcheck -- the general issue is that *all*
haskell-based packages now build dynamically linked against the haskell
runtime (which is huge, and few people have more than one or two
packages that need it).

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54564
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54590
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54588
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54580

Seems like the official response is "just live with it, no one cares
what you say".

Which, to be fair, has some justification in that technically speaking,
statically-compiled haskell programs were an ugly bug. It's just a pity
haskell is such a terribly bloated ecosystem. :p

That being said, there are pandoc-lite and shellcheck-static packages in
the AUR which use upstream's prebuilt binaries and don't require the
whole haskell ecosystem as a dependency. Which seems fairly reasonable
to me.

--
Eli Schwartz