[arch-general] About rebuild of pandoc

Felix Yan felixonmars at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 26 12:48:45 UTC 2017

On 06/26/2017 08:23 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Which, to be fair, has some justification in that technically speaking,
> statically-compiled haskell programs were an ugly bug. It's just a pity
> haskell is such a terribly bloated ecosystem. :p

Half a year ago we have a discussion here at arch-general about the
dynamic linked future of haskell packages:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-January/042925.html

The basic idea is to make the haskell libraries in our official repos
less bloated and more friendly to end users, instead of providing all
development oriented features. Unfortunately I didn't get enough
feedback on that topic. As the ghc package costs more than 1 GiB at that
time, I planned to do the switch at 8.0.2 (with also the help of newly
added dynlibdir).

We still have something to do with the documentation. The HTML docs take
some disk space and waste time to build indexes even with the help of a
hook. Furthermore, the "ghc" library uses 129 MiB and is not needed if
we are going to use ghc-pkg (for library registering) only. (haddock
needs the ghc library and we use it to build doc indexes.)

--
Regards,
Felix Yan