[arch-general] xfce4-notifyd issues

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:58:30 UTC 2017

Op 26 jun. 2017 22:32 schreef "David Rosenstrauch" <darose at darose.net>:

On 06/26/2017 03:56 PM, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:

> [...]
> In short: they use dbus permissions for blacklisting.
> [...]
>
> A deny policy (on the KDE notification) for your user should solve the
> problem without hacking through dependencies.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to fix this as per your suggestion but
wasn't able to make it work:

Probably a stupid question, but you did restart dbus after editing, right?

[...]
For now, I've worked around the issue by commenting out the contents of
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service .  But this
really ought to be fixed upstream by one or more of the following:

1) xfce4-notifyd shouldn't shut itself down on inactivity
2) KDE should do something to remove the conflict between their new
notifications dbus file and those belonging to other DE's

There's bugs open for both of these.  I'll see how upstream wants to handle
them.

Looks to me like the problem is with dbus itself; there doesn't appear to
be a way to let the *user* choose which applications to start for $action.

I like working with policies, but on a flexible system like Linux, the user
should have the last word, IMHO.

Mvg, Guus Snijders