[arch-general] xfce4-notifyd issues

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jun 26 20:32:26 UTC 2017

On 06/26/2017 03:56 PM, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:
> Op 26 jun. 2017 20:19 schreef "David Rosenstrauch" <darose at darose.net>:
>
> On 06/26/2017 01:32 PM, Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>
>> On 06/26/2017 06:30 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>>
>>> Any idea how to resolve the conflict between these 2 notification
>>> services?  (Without being forced to remove half of KDE?)
>>>

> A fair bit of searching gave this result;
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/843076/how-to-blacklist-a-d-bus-service
>
> In short: they use dbus permissions for blacklisting.
>
> Although I really dislike editing in /usr, perhaps the same thing can be
> realised in /etc/somewhere  (don't have an Arch Linux install handy ATM).
>
> A deny policy (on the KDE notification) for your user should solve the
> problem without hacking through dependencies.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to fix this as per your suggestion
but wasn't able to make it work:

$ cat /etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-Bus Bus Configuration
1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
   <policy context="default">
     <deny send_destination="org.kde.knotifications"/>
   </policy>
</busconfig>

For now, I've worked around the issue by commenting out the contents of
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service .  But
this really ought to be fixed upstream by one or more of the following:

1) xfce4-notifyd shouldn't shut itself down on inactivity
2) KDE should do something to remove the conflict between their new
notifications dbus file and those belonging to other DE's

There's bugs open for both of these.  I'll see how upstream wants to
handle them.

Thanks,

DR