[arch-general] Creating a Radius Ethernet Profile with netctl

L. Rose lists at lrose.de
Thu Mar 2 23:20:59 UTC 2017

Am 02.03.2017 um 20:05 schrieb Guus Snijders via arch-general:
> Op 2 mrt. 2017 11:20 schreef "Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general" <
> arch-general at archlinux.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a 802.11X connection here at my campus, and I don't know how to
> set this up with the netctl utility on the Arch Linux ISO. Are there
> guides on accomplishing this?
>

> A quick search shows that wpasupplicant can be used for wired also:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Network802.1xAuthentication
>
> Not a direct guide to netctl, but perhaps you can make it work.
>
> Also, when I connect normally, there is
> a web site that comes up asking for my log on reedentials. How do I
> bypass this with netctl if possible, and if not, how do I
> authenticate?
>

> I think that once you've authenticated, you won't get the webpage. Or
> actually; you shouldn't. Once authenticated, you should be fine (afaik).
>

> Mvg, Guus Snijders
I am afraid you won't get around wpa_supplicant, unless you connect
through a connection you authenticated from another device.
wpa_supplicant is pretty convenient for command line, though. I used it
to connect a Raspberry Pi to my university network using 802.11X. As
wpa_supplicant is not included in the arch install iso (I guess) you'd
probably want to download the required pacman packages to a usb drive
through another machine and then install those packages using pacman
within the arch linux install machine. This is best done following
article [0], as it watches for dependencies.

Probably your university has instructions on how to connect to 802.11X
Ethernet using linux command line, mine does. These are usually pretty
convenient, since they include all the specific settings for your LAN.

[0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Offline_installation_of_packages