[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR ToS (aka making AUR user names public)

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 10:26:25 UTC 2017

Op 6 mrt. 2017 10:52 schreef "Henrik Danielsson via arch-general" <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

I guess I'll be the devil's advocate. I see no privacy issues in handing
over a list of already public information You could deny it for practical
reasons though, if you simply could not be bothered to scrape/export such a
list yourself. Denying or allowing won't stop anyone from obtaining the
list.

I'd say don't.
It's not that the information cannot be obtained otherwise, but I believe
it makes a legal difference.

Also, I don't see any advantage for ArchLinux to handing overy this info.
If they really want this info to profile AUR users and contributers, they
can either compile their own info (using git or scraping), or they could
use an opt-in mechanism and ask the users if they want to participate.

I know it's not directly an privacy issue, but I find it scary
nonetheless... (especially since they expressed the wish to consolidate the
data with other websites such as github).

Mvg, Guus Snijders