[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR ToS (aka making AUR user names public)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Mar 6 15:22:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

ok a last reply to this topic.

Since the usernames are anyway public, there is a reason to ask for a
list.

- politeness?
- laziness?
- something related to laws?
- ??

Perhaps the research has nothing to do with AUR and github, but e.g.
with a method, maybe an algorithm to "establish connections", perhaps
for manipulation purpose? I've got much fantasy about a lot of "good"
but as well "evil" reasons.

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 16:06:30 +0100, Martin Kühne via arch-general wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>> Has got somebody the slightest idea about the aim of this research?
>>

>good question.
>
>> "anonymized statistics" and "establish connections" are abstract
>> phrases. Not abstract is that those claims are contradictory, without
>> the need of much abstract concerns or paranoia.
>>

>none of these are crimes. and xxxjavaturtle69xxx actually writes
>vectorgraphics in java.

Researchers sometimes misuse real records, not to harm those who
originally own those records, they just want to test processes that
later should be used for something that isn't related to those
"test" records.

>> In the end I don't care, since I more or less have given up that
>> nowadays people are interested in really thinking about protection of
>> privacy, hence I'll op out, I only wanted to point out my doubts.
>> Done.
>
>Your approach kind of reminds me about how statistics is a much
>misunderstood field. It doesn't matter what or how you record
>statistics, you will always going to get rid of most of the data for
>the sake of having a general overview, and nothing keeps you from
>misinterpreting the results you get. That *still* doesn't make the
>tools completely useless, as it's great for grouping many data points
>into individual sectors. Of course it's not a simple topic, but you
>can't fit a one-opt-out-fits-all-opt-outs approach to the problem
>domain and think you're done?

No, as already pointed out, we don't know what this research is for.
Who says that the target of the research are statistics? This statistic
thingy perhaps is just to test or train something, that later should be
used for something completely different.

Now I'll use my fantasy for continuing a music project done with Linux.

Regards,
Ralf