[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR ToS (aka making AUR user names public)

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 13:32:22 UTC 2017

On 06-03-2017 12:13, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 11:53:34 +0000, Mauro Santos via arch-general wrote:
>> I think the point here is not so much privacy, as I believe everyone
>> recognizes that the information that was asked for (the full list of
>> usernames) is public
>
> It's not per se forbidden to take a photo of a public location, it's
> even allowed to take the photo and to publish the photo, if a girl
> randomly is on that photo, too. It is forbidden to provide a collection
> of such photos to somebody else, who needs such photos for a porn
> website. Now "research" isn't "porn", but subtleties could make it hard
> to decide how to handle something like this. That something is public,
> doesn't mean that privacy could be ignored.
> .

I'm not saying privacy doesn't matter, it does. The usernames are there
for everyone to see, there is no expectation of privacy on that, or the
comments on packages.

What I feel is the crux of the problem here is handing the list (or
database) of users wholesale. I believe you have framed the main
question better than I have in one of your replies :)

--
Mauro Santos