[arch-general] Which browser to use? [was: Firefox user data autofill doesn't work as before]

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Mar 9 13:02:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 13:07:46 +0100, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>Am 09.03.2017 um 12:52 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 11:18:29 +0100, Martin Kühne via arch-general
>> wrote:
>>> I actually tried Vivaldi for a while. It's pretty cool for the
>>> features it delivers out of the box, and it uses DDG by default.
>>> However I found that Firefox' memory management turns out
>>> preferable, since I had a few points where vivaldi would choke on
>>> too many tabs.
>>
>> The OP is a little bit lazy. I launched opera and have taken a look
>> for around 2 seconds at opera://settings/.
>>
>> opera://settings/ > Browser > Search
>>
>> Set which search engine is used when searching from the combined
>> search and address bar
>>
>I'm not very sure, I tried this about a year ago ... I could replace
>the search engine in one place, I think, but not in the other (IIRC
>this has been for new tabs).

It depends on what you actually want. You could disable the "Search
box", but I don't know how to change it. As an example, you could add
e.g. StartPage with a keyword to the address bar search, you could as
well add the xquick (startpage) toolbar by an extension. But as
defaults you perhaps only could select between the given defaults,
Google, DuckDuckGo etc., but e.g. not StartPage. However, I only spend
1 minute with this, I'm not an expert, even not an user of nowadays
Opera.