[arch-general] URXVT background color

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Sat Mar 18 11:47:27 UTC 2017

On 18 March 2017 at 11:51, arnaud gaboury via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I run many urxvt windows on my screen. Some are for the host system and
> some are for my container (managed by systemd-nspawn).
> I am looking for a way to change color background according to hostname in
> order to quickly see which terminal I am on.
>  My idea was to test $HOST variable in my ~/.xinitrc and give a specific
> .Xressource accordingly, but it doesn't work as .xinitrc is obviously not
> invoked when I fire a new terminal window.
>
> How can I manage what I am looking for (if I can)?
> Thank you for hints.

​You could make a wrapper script that calls `exec urxvt -bg ....` with a
color​

​based on the hostname.​ I'd recommend a wrapper script and not an alias
since the wrapper script will work everywhere, not just in your shell. Just
put the script somewhere that is accessible in the host system and the
container and set $PATH accordingly for your user.

--
​ Maarten​