[arch-general] RFC: Cross compilers using newlib

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:48:24 UTC 2017

On 03/20/2017 02:51 PM, Christer Solskogen via arch-general wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Instead of having a separate binutils, gcc and newlib package for every
> architecture it is possible to combine them into one. You can even build
> them all in one swoop if you want. For instance, in something like this:

[snip]

> Is this something that should be done? Or are there good reasons to keep
> them separate?

I guess the main question would be, what benefit do you get out of
artificially combining separate source trees for separate projects, with
essentially no purpose I can see other than preventing you from updating
them individually (a very valid use case).

Should we do the same to the packages for your host architecture?

Generally, suggestions about how to do things differently should be
accompanied by some sort of reasoning as to *why* one would want to do
whatever-it-is.
Especially when that is something which goes against intuitive packaging
principles in a very large way.

You seem to be taking it for granted, that people will somehow magically
agree with you that a unified multi-package is an optimal state of
affairs, and are looking to find out if there is any valid defense of
the status quo.

--
Eli Schwartz