[arch-general] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Thu Mar 30 07:51:17 UTC 2017

On March 30, 2017 8:09:36 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>the Wiki [ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio ]
>opens with...
>
>"This article or section needs expansion." and a link to the
>discussion, but I still don't understand what actually is missing.
>
>...followed by an unrealistic claim about grotesque low latency.
>
>The article included wrong information, I already removed
>
>"If you want to use any MIDI hardware you need to ensure the ALSA MIDI
>driver is loaded. You can set the MIDI driver to load at boot by
>creating the file /etc/modules-load.d/alsamidi.conf containing:"
>
>IIRC apart from a bug that caused that the driver wasn't loaded, the
>driver always gets loaded automatically.
>
>There are claims about rtc, 1000Hz. This was valid, but IMO should be
>obsolete now.
>
>Etc., pp. ...
>
>I don't want to rewrite the Wiki, especially because I won't and/or
>can't test every hint. Please contribute to the Wiki and/or to the
>"This and that" discussion
>[ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Professional_audio ].
>
>Regards,
>Ralf

Hey Ralf,
You're right.
Many articles need expansion/ rewrite indeed.

I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.

Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

Best,
David
--