[arch-general] libx264 changes

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:42:28 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 05/08/2017 01:45 PM, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>> Is the idea that I create a machine local repo that has highest prio
>> and overrides arch extra/testing? Otherwise, I don't know how to unbreak
>> the cycle while only building a custom ffmpeg.
>
> Granted that it is a moot point anyway since your initial request was
> answered and the package is now rebuilt with the headers in the lib
> package...
>
> But no, why does a local repo have anything to do with anything? Do you
> feel you need a local repo in order to install a pacman package, or have
> you discovered the magical -U switch yet?

I ask because pacman -U is the usual way I install custom packages.

> Just makepkg your custom PKGBUILD, and then install your custom ffmpeg
> in place of the repo version. Seriously, did you even try it at all?
> Because if you had tried it, it would have worked and you wouldn't be
> having all these strange questions.
>
> In the absolute worst-case scenario imaginable, you would have to
> temporarily have a few wasteful packages installed, including the repo
> ffmpeg, WHICH YOU WOULD THEN UNINSTALL AFTER YOU BUILT YOUR OWN FFMPEG!

I did try and the only way I managed was building ffmpeg after
first building a custom x264 that doesn't depend on x264.
I didn't manage to build and install ffmpeg without installing
the vanilla ffmpeg package first as a dependency of x264.

I'm sure I'm just not seeing the obvious and sorry for my
limited perspective here.

For some reason we seem to be talking past each other and these things
happen in online discussions. Since the header is included in a cycle-free
fashion again, we should end this thread as I'm afraid my failure
to see what you've been suggesting won't be cleared via email.

> Why are you making such a circus out of this???

I'm sorry you think I am, but I don't think I can say anything
to convince you otherwise.

Eli, sorry for asking dumb question that likely stem from
different perspectives and my pacman/makepkg experience.