[arch-general] GDM/Lightdm and/or Gnome will not start

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:37:58 UTC 2017

Op 26 nov. 2017 13:15 schreef "Guus Snijders" <gsnijders at gmail.com>:

Op 26 nov. 2017 10:52 schreef "Alan E. Davis via arch-general" <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

To clarify, I have been running the same Arch Linux installation for many
months, without a hitch.  Until this event.  [...]

I will reinstall Arch Linux, no doubt, unless I can fix this.

A quicker way may be to try another user first.

My best guesses; you use some desktop environment and it

[...]
If the problem is that it auto-starts on logon or whatever,  try renaming
the wine directory (~/.wine) first.

My apologies; while I was typing the initial response, I failed to take the
subject into account.
Though my main points stay, the first troubleshooting steps are easy;
- log in (on a console, not X) as your "normal" user and rename the wine
directory in $HOME.
- then login in Gnome and see if the error still appears

If the error is gone, it was something with wine (though I can't see any
reason for autostarting wine), and you can work from there.

If the error remains, try another user. If that works, it's something in
the gnome config of user 1.

Mvg, Guus Snijders