[arch-general] GDM/Lightdm and/or Gnome will not start

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Nov 26 14:10:48 UTC 2017

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 13:15:06 +0100, Guus Snijders wrote:
>Though, on second thought;  the entire problem could be just ADE ;).
>If the problem is that it auto-starts on logon or whatever,  try
>renaming the wine directory (~/.wine) first.
>That's just about comparable to reinstalling Windows...

For troubleshooting this would be a good thing to do. I doubt that
something installed by wine does affect the Linux display manager, but
it doesn't harm to (re)move wine.

Off-topic:

>Where it comes to ADE: Can't help there, i'm afraid. I limit my
>collection to drm-free materials  (organised with Calibre).

It doesn't help the OP, but it's the same for me, I reject DRM
completely, resp. I'm not willing to get an Adobe account, even while I
got several meta-thingys for books I wish to own, for free as in beer.
If people want to donate a book I like, they are free to donate a
_book_ (made of paper) instead of a meta-file that requires to sign a
contract with the devil.

The public library of my hometown at best is useful for interlending
from neighbour town's university libraries, but this usually doesn't
work and if it should work, the time you could read the book is
ridiculous short, let alone that the costs for my hometown's public
library is exorbitant high.

Culture in Germany isn't for averaged working people who make a living
from wage floor, that's why I'm in favour of the Guerilla Open Access
Manifesto:
https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

Regards,
Ralf