[arch-general] GDM/Lightdm and/or Gnome will not start

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:15:06 UTC 2017

Op 26 nov. 2017 10:52 schreef "Alan E. Davis via arch-general" <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

To clarify, I have been running the same Arch Linux installation for many
months, without a hitch.  Until this event.  [...]

I will reinstall Arch Linux, no doubt, unless I can fix this.

A quicker way may be to try another user first.

My best guesses; you use some desktop environment and it has included
wine's .desktop files and made at least one of them default for $action.

So at some point, you ask your DE to execute  $action;
Let's say you open a JPEG file in a filemanager. The file manager looks up
the default program, finds that it is wine related and executes the
corresponding command. That program crashes for whatever reason, making it
look like the entire system is broken (which it isn't necessarily).

So, will an mkfs, followed by a fresh Arch install fix the problem?
Probably, until you repeat the same steps, ending up in the same
situation...

An easier approach may be to create a new user, log in with that and repeat
the action (in the example above, opening a JPEG). Same error? Then it's
something system wide.  No error?  Then the problem hides in the homedir of
the first user.

Though, on second thought;  the entire problem could be just ADE ;).
If the problem is that it auto-starts on logon or whatever,  try renaming
the wine directory (~/.wine) first.
That's just about comparable to reinstalling Windows...

Where it comes to ADE: Can't help there, i'm afraid. I limit my collection
to drm-free materials  (organised with Calibre).

Ps
I often used $WINEPREFIX to separate Windows programs from one another.

Mvg, Guus Snijders