[arch-general] Can we please have a co-maintainer ...

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 13 13:25:37 UTC 2017

On 13 October 2017 at 18:56, David Runge <dave at sleepmap.de> wrote:
> On October 13, 2017 2:02:42 PM GMT+02:00, Mark Raynsford <list+org.archlinux.archgeneral at io7m.com> wrote:
>>I use Ardour daily. I'd like to volunteer to help, but I'm not sure
>>what's involved.
> In the case of Ardour luckily not much (see the other relevant thread on that topic).
>
> Generally, I would love to see a set of maintainers responsible for audio relevant packages, to better compensate the unavailability of one or more.
> I understand, that pro-audio on Linux is somewhat niche and therefore also niche on Arch.
> However since archaudio is dead, it would be great to have pro-audio packages in the main repositories.
> IMHO the Arch wiki and an additional mailing list would be sufficient to deal with its purposes.
>
> Best,
> David
>
> P.S.: Now that I'm done with my thesis I start having a life and more time for such things again ;-)
>
> --
> https://sleepmap.de

Hello Folks!

So, I am attacking a few points scattered throughout this thread:

- It is true that I have been partially available for a long time, and
Speps has been totally inactive.

- It is true that even stuff I consider important myself gets updated
not sooner than a month after release on average so far.

- It is true that it serves no-one to delay updates in a
rolling-release distribution and gives a bad impression of the team
and inconveniences users.

- Other developers and TUs are welcome to build and test my packages,
and folks like Antonio have done that. It only gets to a problem when
something doesn't build or work, and that's where it helps to have
experience and familiarity with the niche topic of the packages
(pro-audio).

- I still believe my extra packages I can somehow continue to update
myself, as there has been talk about new servers which would make my
life easier (sometimes my network latencies are so high to the build
server I have to just quit and go do something else)

- My other problem is hardware and lack of time to set up my machine
properly (that's why I am on Windows, and making do with Git Bash to
be productive, but I am fully productive on my Linux box so I am
definitely going to be active again at some point)

- It is NOT true that there is no pro-audio community. ArchAudio was
just inactive because nobody stepped up to take over maintenance from
me. It had a fully functioning website, forums, mailing list, and
partially functioning packaging machine (I couldn't keep up the CentOS
machine with the Arch changes). The admin Jon Kristian even was
willing to spare the necessary infrastructure (he got a new Arch
machine for us). People seemed to not want such a platform and
advocated the AUR as being sufficient (see also LinuxMusicians
forums). So if there's renewed interest, I can contact Jon again for a
revival.

- I am more than happy to sponsor a TU, at least in place of Speps
(btw, if Speps has not participated in TU voting, why hasn't the
removal not been initiated?). So far I see we have two expressions of
interest from David and Sebastian. David approached me some time ago
but I have yet to reply. I am not sure it would be wise to sponsor
more than one at a time, so I'll decide on some arbitrary objective
and subjective metrics :)

Thank you all for your support!

Best,
Ray