[arch-general] Detect broken DHCP setup

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Wed Sep 6 22:19:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:27:13AM +0200, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:
> Il 06/09/2017 01:09, Leonid Isaev via arch-general ha scritto:
> >
> > What does it mean a valid DHCP setup? By reconnection you mean that your client
> > re-request a lease from the server? Also, dbus has nothing to do with dhcp
> > settings...
>
> I know DBus has nothing to do with DHCP; what I meant is that
> NetworkManager shows in its DBus interface when the DHCP configuration
> is not valid, so people can reset it.
> And almost, what I would do is to restart the connection.

But what does it mean "not valid" and "restart connection"? Does it mean that
the lease expires and you need to obtain a new one, so you restart NM? Or the
system can not reach the network beyond the gateway?

> Thanks a lot for the configuration files and the suggestions! If there's
> no better solution I can go for them! :)
> I still noticed that systemd exposes a DBus network interface
> (*org.freedesktop.network1*) which should have proper information but I
> found very little documentation online (if none) regarding it...

Again, when it comes to network settings, there is nothing to expose over dbus.
systemd and NM have this obscure concept of a "system being online" but it is
nothing more than a simple ping fedoraproject.org. This test fails in many
legitimate cases which makes it useless...

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev