[arch-general] Kernel 4.16 - two entries in /dev/video for one webcam

Marc Ranolfi marc.2377 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:19:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

I use skypeforlinux-stable-bin-8.18.0.6-1 and an USB webcam.

Upon updating to the 4.16 series kernel, I noticed my webcam was not
working in Skype, but instead a black screen was shown.

Then, after checking 'ls -ltrh /dev/video*' I found these:

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 1 Apr 21 21:11 /dev/video1
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 Apr 21 21:11 /dev/video0

This suggested that a "second" device was being detected. I launched Skype
again and found it was possible to actually change the input video device
to this, and it worked.

Any clues on why the new kernel is creating two video devices for one
hardware?