[arch-general] xrandr with XPS 13" (3840x2160) HiDPI and 30" (2560x1600) LowDPI

Tyler tylera at privatedemail.net
Wed Aug 1 02:20:47 UTC 2018

> The panning option might be there as a workaround for a bug in xorg.
> Since xorg 1.20 the patch to resolve that should be included, so you can
> try your configuration without panning.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Side_display
The closest I have been able to get was with

xrandr --output eDP1 --auto --output DP1 --auto --scale 2x2 --right-of eDP1

Now everything appears correctly except my laptop screen is on the wrong
side.

https://i.imgur.com/EEJuNij.jpg

When I tried the reverse

xrandr --output eDP1 --auto --output DP1 --auto --scale 2x2 --left-of eDP1

I didn't just get a flipped result, I got my browser showing over the
middle https://i.imgur.com/QW0IHYw.jpg

also the black space in the first screenshot is supposed to be there,
that's where there is no screen space as my laptop has a higher
resolution than my external monitor.

It should look like screenshot 1 except that workspace 1 should be on
the opposite side.

I also noticed a problem where applications opened on my laptop screen
don't have correct scaling on my external monitor which is another thing
he spoke of in that blog article.

> Second, switching back and forth between dual monitors to one monitor
lead to interesting behaviour. For example, I kept losing the scale
setting on the lower DPI monitor.
exactly that, although it didn't seem to effect GTK3 applications, only
Qt5 ones.

Thankfully things in Wayland seem a lot simpler! In Sway it's as simple
as https://github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki#display-configuration

Have to wait for firefox and thunderbird to have Wayland patches before
I switch as the fonts were all blurry.

For some reason https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-wayland/ is
really out of date.

This has been a major pain for me.