[arch-general] Booting EFISTUB Kernel: Tianocore Wants *.efi.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 17:25:55 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've an Asus C200M Chromebook with coreboot and TianoCore UEFI newly
flashed.  Today was spent working through the wiki to have it EFISTUB
boot a kernel in ESP.  The disk has a ESP partition, and a root
partition that's LUKS dmcrypt'd.  (All this is new to me.)

I used efibootmgr(8) to add a boot menu item, and I changed the order so
it was second after USB.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#Using_UEFI_directly

On finishing the installation and rebooting, I ended up EFI shell
without any visible errors.  Poking about, I could see ESP had
`\vmlinuz-linux', in EFI terms, and the two initrds.  Explicitly running
the kernel, e.g. `fs0:\vmlinuz-linux' either did nothing, or said it
wasn't the right kind of thing.  I forget.  On a hunch I used EFI's `cp'
to copy it to `\vmlinuz-linux.efi'.  `ls' then shows it in a different
colour to its source and it booted with `\vmlinuz-linux.efi'.

Where along the line do I arrange for the kernel to end with `.efi'?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy