[arch-general] syslinux: out of date - or not?

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:37:43 UTC 2018

Hello

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:34 AM Bjoern Franke <bjo at nord-west.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently wanted to switch from grub to syslinux, but it could not boot
> my /boot-partition, because it uses XFS.
>
> Unfortunately only syslinux 6.04 supports XFS, while we stick on 6.03.
> 6.04 is somehow a "testing" version, thought it has been out for 2
> years, so I marked 6.03 as "out of date".
>
> I'm wondering a bit why we stick on 6.03, even Debian stable[1] has 6.04.

It is the question you should really ask upstream developers. If the
project is stable enough for Debian why they do not rollout a new
release? Having project in usable-but-not-released state is confusing.

Anyway, an alpha version of 6.04 is pushed to [testing]. The best
thing one can do is to test it and make sure all the use-cases you
need (e.g. XFS) work correctly. Happy holidays and happy testing.