[arch-general] syslinux: out of date - or not?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 22 23:23:45 UTC 2018

On 12/22/18 6:27 AM, Bjoern Franke wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
>> While I understand it's disappointing to not have desired features from
>> the package, it does take some time to get those features when they
>> suffer from being both unreleased code, and code on top of a package
>> that doesn't validly build in 2018. Please wait, we are trying to get to
>> a working state, and hopefully our syslinux maintainer will be able to
>> resolve this sometime soon. Once we can trust the package actually
>> works, we can move it to stable.
>>
>> Hope this clears things up for you. :)
>> Good luck.
>>

> I'm thankful for pointing out the issues regarding syslinux. I assumed
> some issues when seeing that 6.04 was not released since 2 years, but I
> did not assume that it is so bad. Sounds somehow like upstream is more
> or less dead? :/
> But in MBR-land it seems to be the only alternative to grub?

Bootloaders seem to suffer from a depressing lack of competition. Much
as I like grub, I can appreciate the sadness that is this lack.

Apparently syslinux git (a.k.a. the future 6.04) will also finally
support the ext4 "64bit" feature. Took them long enough. :(

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User