[arch-general] Corrupt Package (confirmed 2 servers) dovecot, jansson, python2-pillow

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 12 00:02:30 UTC 2018

On 02/11/2018 06:46 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/11/2018 04:48 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> There
>> have been numerous forum posts, mailing list threads, IRC discussions,
>> Reddit discussions, Twitter discussions, and for all I know Linux User
>> Group conventions discussing the issue ad nauseam -- and by this I mean
>> to say that this raft of discussion across all forms of social media,
>> happens on an individual level for each new Trusted User, every single
>> time. Without fail.
>
> Thank you for not hacking me :)
>
> If there have been social media discussion on it, then I would never see them.
> I'm 51, not a bird, I don't tweet, etc... When faced with a "this looks like
> an Arch problem" (or any other distro problem), after 20 years of experience
> the resounding proper place to address it is to the distros mailing list - to
> determining if it can be confirmed and a bug is needed, or, for answer, since
> there will be no other social whatever that knows more about Arch, than Arch.

I sympathize with the idea, and I'm supposedly one of those young adult
types that are thought to only exist on twitter :p
I know that twitter mentions it because Morten Linderud mentioned this
rant in IRC: https://twitter.com/kaihendry/status/920833500135047168
Otherwise I wouldn't know as I have no interest in the site...

But! It's been mentioned on the mailing list and forums.

See for example https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=233480 and

> When things that are supposed to be seamless and take place under the hood
> without user intervention -- don't, for whatever reason, I like to understand
> why if I'm going to rely on my system. I have never created any key for the
> keyring so there is no possibility I match the key with a future date problem.

You did though. :p Or rather, the archiso may have seeded it for you...

> I'll search again through the forums to see how to completely dump and restore
> my arch keyring because --init --updatedb --refresh-key don't work. And, no,
> I'm certainly not going to trust and social media "Hey, try this..." to fix
> the problem.

--init does nothing if you already have a secret key in your keyring,
broken or not.
--updatedb --refresh-keys assumes that your keyring is not broken, and
updates it with new information. You need to fix a broken keyring
though, which is different.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User