[arch-general] Why does Arch still use the GTK2 version of xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 15 12:15:57 UTC 2018

On 02/15/2018 12:45 AM, DEVIN GRANT via arch-general wrote:
> Hello, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for starting such a
> discussion, but I felt I needed to voice my opinion. I think the GTK3 build
> of the Whisker Menu plugin is very stable and find it very odd that Arch
> still uses the antiquated GTK2 build of the plugin.
>

> The GTK3 build will add many noticeable improvements for end users,
> including better support for desktop themes. Replacing the old version will
> also make it easier to ditch an old toolkit like GTK2 from our systems.

If it is as open-and-shut a case as all that, you should report a bug
asking for this. ;)

But of course, you should first check to see if we have an existing bug
for it (open or closed), and as it happens, we *do* already have one
here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53088

It was closed as Deferred, due to depending on gtk2 via exo, but it
looks like exo 0.11.3-1 from June should have fixed that. So, please
take a look and see if it works now, and if it does, then use the
"Request reopen" form on that bug.

This seems like a reasonable request, so no need to stand on ceremony
and gain community backing before you ask. :)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User