[arch-general] linux kernel 4.15.4-1 un-bootable

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Sat Feb 24 01:39:02 UTC 2018

Ran into a weird issue today.  I upgraded a bunch of packages, including
the kernel to v4.15.4-1 (from 4.15.3-1).  But for some reason the system
was un-bootable.  The boot process would get part-way through, then the
booting screen would suddenly start showing its text on a green
background (rather than black) and it would freeze.

It took some jumping through hoops, but I was eventually able to boot to
a chroot environment, upgrade to a newer kernel (v4.15.5-1) and suddenly
the problem magically went away and my machine boots fine.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened here?  I'm assuming it was
a bad kernel build, but I'd like to know for sure.  I didn't see any
recent bugs under the "linux" kernel package that matched what I was
seeing.

Thanks,

DR